Thursday, March 27, 2014

DO MY FRIENDS HAVE BETTER LIVES?

There's a new show about to debut on CBS called 'Friends With Better Lives' that has inspired me to write this blog.  It's something that I've noticed myself doing numerous times.  Scanning thru my news feed on Facebook and I see all the great things that my friends are doing.  It makes me wonder if my life will ever be fabulous like theirs.



I can picture it now, I'm sitting on my couch in my t shirt and sweats, that I've worn all week when I get home.  I've got my hair in a ponytail with no make up on and I have a glass of wine in one hand and my iPhone in the other.  I'm sitting there scrolling down my news feed looking at the posts from my friends boasting about their fabulous lives.  They talk about the amazing feats their children have accomplished, how they have the best boyfriend/husband ever, they post about their weekend adventures, where they are at all the places to be seen.  Yet, you can see me laying on my couch in the fetal position.  Well, maybe not exactly the fetal position.

Have you found yourself looking at someone else's life and thought how great they had it and how your life was lame?  I find myself doing that more than I want to admit.  Even though I know my life isn't really lame, I just want more.  I think a lot of us are guilty for wanting what we don't/can't have.

I ALWAYS look at my friends with boyfriends or that are married and think how I wish I had someone who loved me.  Although, I'm sure they look at me wishing that they were single and free. I look at my friends that travel all the time and think how awesome that would be to see different parts of the country and the world on a whim.  Then again, they might see the pictures of the celebrities that I meet through my job and wish they could do that. Sometimes I look at my friends that are so pretty and have amazing bodies and wish I had that, but there's probably someone who looks at me and wishes they had something that I have.   

A couple of examples that popped up and made me think that my life is so "un-fabulous" was when a friend of mine posted a picture of her and her friends whooping it up in Austin. There she stood with her perfect hair, perfect clothes, perfectly pretty friends drinking at a bar with other perfect people having a perfect time. Then there's the guy that posts from every event he ever goes to that is where the cool kids are hanging out.  One picture is with a ton of girls running around in booty shorts.  The next picture is taken at some fancy sit down dinner that Andy Roddick is a part of.  Really? I'm sitting at home eating my turkey lasagna leftovers.

I think we all wish our lives were more.  Whether it's more exciting or it's more settled, we all want to know if the other side is really greener.   When I got a divorce I thought that it had to be better on the other side.  Living the single life seemed to be a walk in the park.  For a little while it was, but since then it's been a little bit of the Goldilocks game. And I'm still waiting to find what feels just right.  

We should all be happy with what we have, but I don't see anything wrong with wanting more.  I think it helps keep our inner drive going.  It keeps that fire within us to be more and do more.  Hopefully it won't depress us.  It's made me sad a time or two, but I'm trying to tell myself that all is not as it appears...especially on Facebook.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Everyone has their "the grass looks greener on the other side" moments. People only talk about the good things publicly and never want to talk about the hurt or bad in their life.