Friday, February 13, 2009

AHHH...VALENTINE'S DAY!!! AGAIN!!!!

How ironic is it that the day where bad things are supposed to happen, Friday the 13th, is next to the day where people are doing nice things for each other and expressing their love? Frankly, I almost forgot about both till today when it dawned on me. Today so far has been a good day. Nothing bad has happened thus far. And tomorrow I haven't thought too much about for obvious reasons.

At this point in my life neither day tend to be too scary anymore or too exciting. For the most part they end up being just another day like the rest of them. I haven't been with anyone for at least a few Valentine's Days now and I think I may actually be getting used to it. I can only think of one Valentines day where I think someone actually did something special for me.

It was a few years ago and I just met someone a few weeks prior. They new that I semi recently was separated. He called me up out of the blue and said that since I was going to be spending my Valentine's day alone he wanted to know if I had had dinner that night. I hadn't, and so he basically invited himself over to my place and told he was bringing dinner over.

When he arrived at my place shortly after, he had brought with him cheese, crackers, and wine as a starter. Then he went to this great little restaurant and ordered and entree for us to share. Followed by a different bottle of wine with chocolate and strawberries. Needless to say, I was floored. The thought that he put into it and I wasn't even his girlfriend. Technically we were barely dating...I think that might've made it date 3.

It was a great gesture. Something I appreciate greatly to this day. And just so we're clear...the only reason that Valentine's haven't been so great is because I haven't dated anyone since then. And just so you know, I've been coming to grips with the fact that I won't have anyone for awhile. I'm not saying that to feel sorry for myself, more like I'm just not going to worry about it or care.

I could sit here and do the Anti-Valentine rant but really...so what? So what that other people will be off having dinners and then go home and make sweet sweet love. (I'm being funny there) It really is just another day. Don't get me wrong, if I had someone special in my life do something special for me I wouldn't complain. I just won't dwell on the fact that I don't. I will on the other hand be at Target on Sunday for clearance Valentine's candy. Yummy! I will also give my dog Sexie lots of love because she is the one constant thing I've got right now...and she really is the best at snuggling...EVER!!!

No comments: